This course is designed to equip healthcare providers and ancillary staff with the knowledge and tools to optimize patient behavior change to ultimately improve health outcomes. The following are the topics that will be covered in this course:
- Components of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Benefits of Using Motivational Interviewing
- Traditional Expert-Centered Model vs. MI Patient-Centered Model
- Principles of MI
- Readiness to Elicit Change Talk
Script and narration for the presentation is prepared by Dr. Rebecca Lang. There is a posttest at the end of the course.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded on successful completion of this course.
Any healthcare provider or ancillary staff that has direct patient care, especially those in family and pediatric medicine.
Upon completion of this part, you will be able to:
- Identify two components of motivational interviewing (MI)
- Identify administrative benefits to using MI in a clinic setting
- Describe the difference between the traditional expert-centered medical model and the MI patient-centered model.
- Discuss how the spirit of motivation interviewing supports patient-centered care
- Discuss four principles of motivational interviewing
- Describe how open ended questions, reflective listening, and eliciting change talk can help empower behavior change.
- Apply the readiness scale in office visit to elicit change talk
- Identify key signals when they are connecting with patients
- Discuss the steps of the “less than 3 minutes” brief focused advice
Council of Linkages Core Competencies identified:
Communication Skills, Analytical Skills, Policy Development/Program Planning Skills, Leadership, and Systems Thinking skills
This course has been approved for 1.0 contact hour by the Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #94. This course has also been approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration for 1.0 CPEUs (Levels 1 and 2). If you would like CEUs for this course, you will have an opportunity at the end of the course to request credit.
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
Dr. Rebecca Lang EdD, RDH, CHES
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
November 12, 2012
The information on this page was updated on September 9, 2019