Motivational interviewing forms the foundation of this practical program. The focus here is on the basic counseling skills that are essential for Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA).
The program can be used by a group of staff together or by individual counselors in their own time. It is all on-line and available immediately upon purchase. It is most appropriate for nutrition counselors, though clerical staff will benefit as well. This program works best when supervisors follow along. Consider using these units to augment your training or as part of on-going in-service sessions.
The Program includes: Eleven units, each with an audio podcast, notes and a practical article (pdf). Suggested topics are provided for group discussion.
- Introduction: Engaging the Client
- The Basics: OARS Open-ended questioning Affirming Reflecting Summarizing
- Resistance: Behavior change and resistance to change
- Attending to the client: What is important to the client? Working with confidence to change Listening for change talk
- When it’s time to provide advice: Providing advice effectively
- Pulling it all together: How this fits into a WIC contact
WIC Staff and Counselors
Learn the basic skills that are the foundation of quality nutrition counseling
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts:
Molly Kellogg RD, LCSW
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Speakers or Headphones